WILDCAT POINT GENERATION FACILITY
Rising Sun, Maryland (adjacent to Rock Springs Generation Facility in Cecil County)
Combined-cycle / 1000-MW nominal / 2x2x1
Client: Old Dominion Electric Cooperative
In June 2014, Old Dominion Electric Cooperative (ODEC) awarded the Wildcat Point Generation Facility engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) project to White Oak Power Constructors (WOPC), the joint venture (JV) of Sargent & Lundy and PCL Industrial Construction Company. The Wildcat Point site is located in Rising Sun, Maryland (adjacent to Rock Springs Generation Facility in Cecil County). The project is on an existing operating site with four combustion turbines in Cecil County, Maryland, adjacent to the Pennsylvania state border. The facility is a state of the art advanced combined-cycle 2x1 configuration employing Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) and Alstom technologies, with commercial operation scheduled for 2018.
As the EPC contractor, WOPC is responsible for engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning of all work necessary to install the plant, including the associated mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and controls (I&C), and civil, structural, and architectural scopes. Sargent & Lundy has responsibility for all detailed design, engineered equipment procurement, commissioning, and JV executive management.
The facility is designed for a 1,000-MW nominal capacity at ambient conditions based on the following overall arrangement:
- MHI 501GAC combustion turbines (CTs) (2)
- Alstom heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs) (2)
- Alstom steam turbine (ST)
- SMIT GSUs
- 16-cell counterflow mechanical-draft cooling tower in back-to-back configuration
- One distributed control system (DCS)
- Emergency diesel generator (EDG)
- Raw and demineralized water treatment facilities
- Administration building with control room
- Maintenance/warehouse building
- 2018 – Commercial operation
- Detailed engineering and design
- Engineered equipment procurement
- EPC JV executive management
For more information about our services, please visit our Coal, Oil & Gas page.